March 26, 2015

The Certainty of Uncertainty.

It's been three months since our last update.  Hope as we share that others will be encouraged by the One who gives us strength in uncertainty.

The uncertainty of waiting.

I would love to come to a place where I can say that I relish waiting.  But with that, comes the confession that I’m not even close.  I continue to be reminded that Jesus is ever present in these uncertain times of waiting.  He knows me.  And He's not afraid or surprised by my cycles of doubt, discouragement, and apathy, but has been--and will continue to be--the faithful One, meeting me in those places.  Knowing that changes everything.  Related, a very good friend once shared with me that: 
“Jesus can change everything without changing anything.”  
Those words rang true when I first heard them, and they resonate in this season.

Concerning our return to Ethiopia, there is no news to report.  Every human measure has been exhausted.  So we wait.  Overall, it’s been eight months since the paperwork was submitted for the organization to be permitted to grant work permits to foreigners (that would be us), and still little to no progress.  Here’s the potentials as we see it:
  • Scenario 1: a) We leave on our original departure date, April 16th.  b) Then obtain our work permits and residency, with the hope of adding two children to the Havelaar family within the next year.
  • Scenario 2: Beginning of April rolls around and still no news.  a) We change our tickets until after local elections, allowing of enough time for the approval to go through (July??)  b) same as Scenario 1b.  
  • Scenario 3: Request for approval is denied, we go back give most of our stuff away, and move to ________ (yeah, your guess is as good as mine).  
Going back to the quote… Jesus hasn’t changed anything in the circumstance, but He’s changed everything as this season continues.  Then… What changed?  How did it change?  In a word--Perspective.  It boils down to the constant reminder that JESUS LOVES ME.  He doesn’t love me because I’m so lovable.  He doesn’t love me because I do stuff for Him.  He just loves me.  And in that radical reality comes the security of knowing that no matter what happens, He will still love me.  I wish there were more news to share, but that’s the reality I have to share… that Jesus loves you.

Prayers are appreciated.

The uncertainty of loss.

The man who encouraged me with that quote (as well as many others) was my friend, Jeff Stewart.  Of the many things that made him a great friend, was an unreal ability to make me laugh when I seemed to need it most, and most importantly, a willingness to always point me to Jesus.  He offered honesty, access to his life, and grace towards me.  In the same manner, he gave me the opportunity to reciprocate the same towards him.  In the messiness of this life, in the failures and fears, he was certain of the magnitude of love and the unworthy acceptance lavished on him by Jesus.  I’m SO thankful he shared this certainty with me.  

Last Friday, I had the honor of sharing at his graveside service--that the same Jesus he received he gave away to people.  And just days ago, joined the thousand (or so) at Jeff's memorial service.  In both services, Jesus was present and glorified.

At 49 years old, he went home to be with the Savior whose love he paraded, and the woman he adored, Karen (she passed away almost five years prior to cancer).  Another friend who shared at the memorial, discussed Jeff’s most prevalent passions: a passion for Jesus, a passion for his wife, and a passion for his kids.  I can’t think of much more that I would want to leave as a legacy.  What he often said, seems so fitting:
“Jesus is the best thing about us.” 
I especially grieve his loss for his children: Hannah, Grace, and Titus.  The uncertain times of the present and the ones that lie ahead are an inescapable reality.  And it’s in this reality that I am certain of two things: 
  1. Jesus loves them and will meet them in a place that no one else can.  I don’t know when.  I don’t know how...
  2. I’m certain that I absolutely love them.  
Whether you knew Jeff or not, I would ask that you join me in praying for his kids.

Thank you Jesus for such a great friend.  You are missed so much, Jeff.

Thank you Jesus that YOU ARE the certainty in our uncertainty.

All the best in Jesus,
Shaun

P.S. If you are interested in contributing to Jeff's family as they navigate through their "new normal", you may do so through their Crowdrise Campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment