November 24, 2014

...who i'm thankful for this thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving... the time of year when we reflect on what each of us are thankful for.  I have SO much to be thankful for: my wonderful husband, my two kids, our friends and family around the world, getting to be in ministry full-time with my family, all the precious kids at EGCH, and Jesus.. my Lord and Savior, my Rock and Redeemer. 

There is one group of ladies I’d like to share about.  I am truly grateful for the beautiful mamas (caretakers) at EGCH.


These ladies are our unsung heroes.  They are the cooks, cleaners, caretakers, diaper changers, potty trainers, and middle-of-the-night bottle feeders to 37 kids (well, some of them don't need diapers, potty training, or bottles anymore :)).  And for most of the kids at EGCH these ladies are the only "mamas" they have ever known.  They don't speak much English.  I don't speak much Amharic.  So, our conversations are very limited.  But I've learned more about communication without words.

We have similar hearts.  Our hearts are to love and care for these kids whom God has placed under our care.  I love being over there and seeing their hearts for the kids in action.  The other day, I was sitting in the living room with two of the mamas who were feeding babies.  I was holding and playing with one of the babies when I noticed Abebech (one of the mamas) playing with Yohannes (he is 18 months old and has cerebral palsy).  She picked him up, gently pressed her check against his, kissing him and talking to him sweetly in his ear... just loving on him. 

photo credit: Steve McKenzie

One of the new mamas is the birth mother to one of the children.  She was put in jail after being caught trying to abandon him.  After she served her sentence, she came to EGCH and Argaw gave her an opportunity, and hired her.  It’s been neat to see her develop a relationship with her son and the others.  When I’m over there, sometimes I pull out the bubbles for the toddlers and they chase them.  They get so excited when they pop one.  This mama  also gets into the action.  She gets just as excited to try and chase and pop the bubbles!  I don’t know what drove her to try and abandon her child.  I don’t know if she even had much of a childhood herself.  But she’s here now, learning to be a mom, and even getting to be a kid sometimes too :).  

Currently, I’m going through Beth Moore’s study on the life of David.  I was just reading the passage in 2 Samuel 9, where David shows kindness towards Mephibosheth.  Something she said struck me: 
“Perhaps the most grateful response we could ever offer God for our restoration is to help another be restored.” 
I see God using these ladies to "restore" these kids.  They are providing for their basic needs, but they are doing so much more than that.  Thankful for these precious mamas...

Happy Thanksgiving!

All the best in Jesus,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment