February 13, 2014

Smack-dab in the middle of a Love Story...

It's that time of year where right now in America and Europe the stores are filled with yummy heart shaped candies, boxes of chocolates, and sweet smelling roses in all shades of colors. It's that time of year where we take this special day, Valentine's Day, to tell those around us how much we love them. And I can't help but think that even though i'm not surrounded by all the hearts and chocolates, cards and flowers.. i am surrounded by these precious children and i am smack dab in the middle of their love stories. I have seen and continue to see God's loving, gracious hand upon the kids of Ebenezer Grace Children's Home. I knew before coming here that God loved them…but over these past 9 months i've seen God's love for these kids in so many ways. 

You see even before we came to Ethiopia God had pressed it upon my heart to pray specifically for the kids of EGCH. They don't have godly moms and dads who seek Jesus on their behalf praying for their health, safety, that they would grow up feeling loved and accepted, and most importantly that they would choose Him.. their Rescuer. So since we arrived i've been praying for each of them and keeping those prayers in journal. During the summer I listened to a message by Cheryl Broderson on Ephesians 3v14-21. Many of us Christians are familiar with this prayer of Paul's for the Ephesians and specifically verse 20, "Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think." (NLT) Cheryl encouraged us to end every prayer with this verse because GOD IS ABLE. She said that we often ask too little from an infinite God. She also gave many examples of God's power.. take for instance Hannah in the Old Testament. She prayed for a son, and she not only got a son but a prophet and priest. God is able to kill a Giant with 5 stones, feed five thousand people with 5 loaves and 2 fish, calm storms, and defeat death and sin. 
God says in Jeremiah 33v3, "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things which you do not know."  Since I've been praying for these kids I've seen God do amazing, miraculous things in their lives. 

-I've seen God save some of these kids who were left for dead on the streets and in trash piles and bring them under our care at EGCH
-I've seen 5 kids go from unwanted to wanted and get adopted into wonderful, godly families
-I've seen families choose life for their children instead of killing them due to tribal practices
-I've seen the government try to make one of the babies go back with her prostitute mother who made it clear she didn't want her child but God intervened 
-I've seen a 17 year old mother leave her home and move here and be with her child 
-I've seen one mother come back for her child 
-I've seen God use the body of Christ to get Bibles into the hands of the kids and to make sure they had an unforgettable Christmas! 

And much, much more!! I can only hope and pray that each of this kids would one day choose to know, accept, and love Jesus back. I love what Paul prays in Ephesians before verse 20 and I make this my prayer for the kids of Ebenezer Grace Children's Home: 
     "When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God." 

I've been taking my camera everywhere.. it's always with me all the time. I want to take lots of photos of the Ebenezer kids because I want them to have something to be able to look back on and see God's goodness in their lives...so that by looking back and seeing and remembering what great things He's done i pray that they would put their present trust in Him, much like the memorial stones of Joshua 4. God told the Israelites to pick up stones after He dried up the Jordan River so they could all cross. These stones would be a sign among them when their children ask what these stones mean the people would be able to tell their children what God had done for them. Joshua 4v24, "He (God) did this so all the nations of the earth might now that the Lords's hand is powerful, and so you might fear the Lord your God forever." 

To sum up my time here so far I want to share this quote... "in this process (for me, being in Ethiopia and serving at EGCH) you will learn things about the heart of God that you might not otherwise know." (Russ Moore)  That's exactly it. I'm learning and seeing more of God's heart and it's full of love and compassion for these fatherless kiddos. 
If you feel led to pray for and/or support monthly one of these kids just let us know either by email (havelaars@gmail.com), Facebook message, or contact us through the website (www.ebenezergrace.org)  

Happy Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!! 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I'm rejoicing with you over the wonders and the amazing miracles of our true and ever faithful God! There is no greater love, and we don't even know how great His love really is, we only have a tiny glimpse into His heart. Wow! I'm so happy you get to experience Jesus in such a special way!
    I pray you have a wonderful day celebrating our True Valentine, who loved us from forever and will continue into eternity.
    With much much love, Isabella ♥

    ReplyDelete